Top Page > Information for International Students > Daily Life > Student Life

Student Life

<Campus Life>
1. Sports Facilities
Students can freely use sports facilities such as gymnasiums, the swimming pool and tennis courts on campus.
Sports Facilities
Area Facility Sport Hours
Near Kyotsu-kyoiku Bldg. Gymnasium 1 Badminton
Mon-Fri.(except holidays) at lunch-time and when sport classes or athletic clubs are in progress.
Gymnasium 2 Table Tennis
Fitness Training
Indoor Swimming Pool   Opening time deteminined by the Research Center on Health, Physical Fitness and Sports (hours will be announced at the bulletin board of the center (
University Ground(on hill) Athletic Ground (track)   Mon-Fri.(except holidays) at lunch-time, and when sport classes or athletic clubs are in progress.
Athletic Ground (field) Soccer
Baseball Ground Baseball
Tennis Courts  
Soft Tennis Courts  
Volleyball / Tennis Courts  
New Gymnasium (Arena) Badminton
New Gymnasium (Fitness room) Fitness Training Between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. other than when sport classes or athletic clubs are in progress.
Students wishing to use these facilities for a sports event, need to fill out an application and obtain the permission of Nagoya University. For further information, please contact the Student Affairs & Planning Division.
2. Lunch Map
    Higashiyama Campus (click here)   

3. Extracurricular Activities
①Group Activities
Nagoya University officially recognizes liberal arts circles and athletic clubs. If students are interested in the circles, please attend the meetings, or refer to the following web pages (Japanese).
Circles of liberal arts:
Athletic Clubs:
② MEIDAI-SAI (Nagoya University Festival) 
Nagoya University Festival “MEIDAI-SAI" is held every June. The festival consists of the sport events and cultural festival. There are many events such as a costume parades, academic lectures, open laboratory events, live music, movies and so on. Some students give up their free time to help organize these events. Nagoya University Foreign Student Association (NUFSA) always participates in the Festival.
4. Refuse Disposal at Nagoya University
A sorting system for refuse disposal is used at Nagoya University. There are trash cans for “combustible refuse", “incombustible refuse", and recycle bins for “empty bottles", “empty cans", and “PET bottles" all over campus. In addition, there are boxes and a reverse vending machine near the Co-op. The sorted refuse will be recycled. Newspapers or magazines are collected by recycle companies. Used paper products such as used copy paper is collected and recycled. Students are kindly requested to be mindful when they throw away their rubbish and to use the correct bins to help waste reduction and the reuse of recyclable materials.
<Living on a Student Budget>
In Nagoya, the average cost of living for an internation students is approximately ¥120,000 per month. Being able to live within one’s means is paramount to a person’s peace of mind.Here are a few tips regarding lifestyle that you may have overlooked.
1. Shopping
Department stores and supermarkets sell daily necessities such as food, clothing and other sundries. The prices at supermarkets tend to be lower.
Discount shops sell goods at prices that have already been reduced. These shops specialize in given items such as electrical appliances, clothing, medicinal supplies, and tickets (shinkansen, movies, gift certificates, etc. ).
There are many "100 Yen Shop" which sell numerous items such as house hold goods or stationary at the flat rate of 100 yen a price.
2. Bazaar for International Students
Twice a year, NUFSA (Nagoya University Foreign Students Association) holds bazaars for international students at International Residence Higashiyama. They are held in April and October. Household items and other essentials, collected and contributed by volunteers, are sold at very reasonable prices. Students are also encouraged to volunteer to assist in organizing the event.
Contact: NUFSA Office Tel/Fax: 052-783-0638   E-mail:
3. Part-time Work
It is difficult to find part-time work, especially when your Japanese language ability is limited. Working part-time while studying makes excessive demands on your time and health. Thus, it is unreasonable and impractical to base your study and financial plan on part-time work. International students are required to get a permit to work prior to the engagement and must follow the regulations pertaining to the permit. Please refer to the "Part-time Work" of the Immigration page for further information.
Students are required to keep a copy of the permit with them when working. Moreover, any changes in the workplace, type of job or working-hours must be reported to the office of their school.
Students should show the work permit to their employers to let them know the regulations pertaining to the permit. Find out about the work content well in advance. Ask your employer to draw up a work contract which stipulates employment conditions, including payment.
As based on your annual income for this year, the premium of the National Health Insurance for the next year may increase, and the rate of payment waiver of the National Pension premium may be reappraised and adjusted. For further information, inquire at your ward office.
International students cannot work during their absence of leave from school.
4. Student Loan
Even students who are careful with their finances may find that, due to unforeseen circumstances, they are in need of money. The following loan service is available to international students.
Nagoya University International Student Support Association: This association offers a non-interest bearing loan for a maximum of ¥50,000 on the condition that the student returns the full amount within 3 months. If during these 3 months, the student intends to leave Nagoya University permanently, he/she must make the payment before leaving.
Application forms are available at the office of your school and must submit to the International Student Affairs Division. The application is due every Tuesday and the money will be made available on the following Thursday. Please be aware that it if you apply after Tuesday, you cannot receive your loan until the next week’s Thursday.

Contact: Nagoya University International Student Affairs Division Tel: 052-789-5733
5. Public Transportation
  1. Student Discounts: Degree seeking students can get a student discount of 20% off single fares of JR(train/bus/ship) if they travel more than 100km. However, non-degree seeking students are not eligible for this discount. When you travel using this discount, always carry your student identification card and and make sure to buy the ticket at a wicket before boading. Please obtain a certificate of student discount through the issuing machine at your School.
  2. Commuter Passes: Commuting to and from university with a commuter pass is reasonably cheap. Applications forms for commuter passes are available at the office of your school. These forms should be filled out, stamped with the school's official seal, and taken to the following subway stations, which sell 1-month, 3-month and 6-month passes for both city bus and subway routes: Nagoya; Fushimi; Sakae; Kanayama; Imaike; Hoshi-gaoka; Yagoto; Aratamabashi, and Ozone. Commuter passes are only valid for the designated zones.
  3. Subway and City Bus Tickets:
    ① Manaca: Manaca is a pre-paid pass that can be used for both subway trains and buses operated by Nagoya City. Various types of Manaca can be purchased. It can be used for Meitetsu buses and trains, Aonami lines, Yutorito lines and Toyohashi railroad. It is a reachargeable card.
    ② One-day ticket: One-day tickets allow for unlimited rides for one day. One-day tickets for all bus, subway, and bus & subway routes are available. Ticket, Donichi-Eco-Kippu, that can be used on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays and the 8th of every month can be also purchased.
    These tickets include a discounted admission fee for some tourist facilities in Nagoya city such as Nagoya Castle or the Tokugawa Museum.
    They can be purchased at any subway station. For further information, refer to the following website: (Japanese)
  4. Useful Links:
    The following websites provide information on available transport services, time-tables, etc..
<Living in safety>
1. Traffic Rules
Recently, there has been an increase in traffic accidents that involve international students on bicycles. Do be careful whenever you ride.
  1. Traffic Signs: Watch out for and obey all signs on the roads. Stop!(Stop!) applies to bicycles, too. Do not ride out blindly onto roads.
  2. Bicycles: Be aware of the following when riding your bicycle.
    1. Traffic accidents involving bicycles not only occur with cars on the roads but also with pedestrians on the pavement. Watch out and ride slowly. Avoid using your mobile phone while riding your bicycle.
    2. Lock your bicycle at all times.(Preferably, double or triple locks)
    3. Your name and address should be clearly written on your bicycle.
    4. Register your bicycle at the shop where you purchased it.
    5. If your bicycle is given to you, you should ask the presenter to write a brief note (linked to a MS-Word document) stating that the bicycle is a gift.
    6. Do not claim a stray bicycle. In most cases it will have been stolen. It is illegal to ride a stolen bicycle.
    7. If you intend to commute to Higashiyama campus by bicycle, be sure to register your bicycle at the office of your school. In return, you will be given a special sticker for your bicycle. Please be warned that bicycles not carrying this sticker may be removed from campus.
  3. Cars and Motorcycles: International students are strongly discouraged from driving. Especially, newly arrived students are not used to Japanese traffic and are at risk of being involved in accidents. In case of an accident, the amount of compensation usually,exceeds the individual's ability to pay the costs, unless covered by acomprehensive insurance.
    If intending to drive, be aware of the following:
    Those who drive must have a Japanese driver's license. It is prohibited to drive without a Japanese driver's license.
    Your country's driver's license is invalid in Japan. International licenses acquired through the internet are definitely invalid. If you attempt to drive with such documents you will be charged with the crime of driving without a license.
    To obtain a Japanese license, obtain the relevant information from Aichi Police and apply at the Driving License Examination Center in Hirabari.
    Aichi Police: (Japanese)
    The Driving License Examination Center in Hirabari
      TEL 052-801-3211
    In case of an accident, the "Ji-Baiseki-Hoken" (obligatory insurance) will not cover all costs by itself. Those who drive should get "Nin-i Hoken" (optional insurance) in addition to the obligatory one. Nagoya University Co-op provides some options for such insurance.
    The parking lots at Nagoya University dormitories are not for student use.
2. If involved in a traffic accident.
If you are involved in a traffic accident, remain calm and do the following:
  1. If anyone is injured, dial 119 for an ambulance.
  2. Move any dangerous including vehicles, off the road to prevent other accidents.
  3. Report the accident immediately, even if it is small, to a nearby police station and obtain a report of the accident.
  4. Write down the licence plate number of the car concerned as well as the name, address and age of the driver, after requesting to see his/her driver’s licence.
  5. If there are witnesses, write down their names, addresses and telephone numbers.
  6. Make detailed notes of the accident and take photographs, if possible.
  7. See a doctor, even if you think that you are all right, because sometimes symptoms can take time to occur.
  8. Consult your insurance company as soon as possible.
  9. Compensation for damages
    1. The victim may claim compensation from the perpetrator for all damages caused by the accident. However, if any fault lies with the victim, damages will be reduced correspondingly.
    2. Compensation for damages is calculated according to classification. The three categories for calculation are injury, residual disability and death. Even what appears to be a slight injury may turn out to be a residual disability.
    3. The perpetrator's insurance company will negotiate with the victim. If the victim decides to settle the matter with the perpetrator privately, he/she may not be paid compensation by the perpetrator's insurance company.
    4. Agree to an out-of-court-settlement only after confirming that the compensation offered by the insurance company is reasonable.
    <Free traffic accident consultation service>
    The information of the consultation services related to a traffic accident is available on the web page of Nagoya City (in Japanese only).

3. Protection from Natural Disasters (Earthquake Emergency Measures)
Japan witnesses many earthquakes. It is predicted that an earthquake of equivalent scale will also hit the Tokai area in the near future. Familiarizing yourself with the nearest evacuation area and emergency procedures is essential for minimizing potential earthquake damage. When you feel the quake, DO NOT panic. Rushing out in alarm will result in unnecessary injuries and accidents.
(1) Earthquake Preparation:
Secure bookshelves or heavy furnishings to the wall. Do not sleep where furniture or items may fall down on you.
Store three days supply of water (9L per person) and food.
Prepare an emergency bag including items such as a first aid kit, everyday items, valuables such as your passport, etc., to take with you when evacuate. A flashlight or slippers (shoes) should be kept at your bedside.
(2) When an Earthquake occurs:
  1. Protect yourself (Hide under a desk/table and cover your head; move to a spot where you will avoid falling objects).
  2. Open a door to secure an exit. (Do not rush outside until the tremors stop.)
  3. Switch off any heaters and gas.
  4. Get the right information from TV or radio.
  5. Do not use elevators when evacuating.
(3) Earthquake Early Warnings:
Just as an earthquake occurs in the epicenter, the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) issues prompt alter with the estimated seismic intensities and expected arrival time of prinicipal motion. This is done on the data observed by seismographs near the epicenter.
The warning is provided through the media such as TV or radio and it aims to mitigate earthquake-related damages by allowing countermeasures to avoid danger and enabling people to quickly protect themselves in public transportation, at public facilities, offices, houses and so on.
Earthquake Early Warnings (Japan Metrological Agency):

In the event of a major earthquake, please contact your family, friends and staff or faculty members of your department as soon as possible to tell them your condition. At times of disaster it is difficult to get a connection, because of heavy traffic on telephone lines. Reliable means of contact are emails from a mobile phone or Disaster Emergency Dengon Dial 171. Please get to know how to contact your family, friends and staff/faculty members of your department by checking international dial codes and keeping important numbers handy.

Disaster Emergency Dengon Dial 171: In the event of earthquake, by using a phone number in the disaster area as the secret code, you can access this message bank service and record or play safety messages by following the sound guidance (in Japanese). You can access this service through installed, public, or mobile phones. Please familiarize yourself with this system, which can be used on a trial basis on the first day of every month.
(4) Nearest Evacuation Area:
It is advisable to confirm the nearest evacuation areas and shelters in your community. "Map of Shelters & Safe Areas" is available from the website of The City of Nagoya. ("Emergencies" ---> "Maps of Evacuation Areas")
(5) NU Survivor Confirmation System:
Nagoya University is developing a survivor confirmation system, which is operated through the "Nagoya University Portal". During a disaster, you will be able to inform the university of your situation by using this system. Accurate safety information is vital for providing proper aid for suffers.
Details of this system are available from the index tab "DISASTER PREVENTION" on NU Portal site (MyNU).
Register your e-mail address on the portal site to receive the important announcements from Nagoya University during a disaster.
To access the potal site, your Nagoya Daigaku ID and Password are necessay.
Nagoya University Potal:, (by mobile phone)
Survivor Confirmation System:
(6) Other information:
Disaster Management Office, Nagoya University
General Information about Earthquakes (provided by Nagoya City) (Index of "Emergency")
Emergency information in foreign languages following an earthquake ZIP-FM(77. 8MHz)

Please participate in the seminars for earthquake preparedness that are held every semester by the Disaster Management Office of Nagoya University.

Nagoya Municipal Minato Disaster Prevention Center facilitates comprehensive learning about disasters like earthquake and Typhoons and provides practical knowledge about the counter measures which can be taken in advance and to learn about, as how to act at the time of disaster. When you visit Minato Disaster Prevention Center, audio guide files on the following URL will be very helpful.
Audio files for visiting Minato Disaster Prevention Center(Cellular Phone Version)
Japanese/ English/ Chinese/ Portuguese
4. Compliance with Japanese Law
During their stay in Japan, any student who commits a crime, misdemeanor or any other illegal act, will be subject to legal procedures according to Japanese Law. Nagoya University also takes strict disciplinary measures against students who commit crimes or misdemeanors, and may expels them from university.

(1) Prohibition of Narcotics
In Japan, the possession and sale, for personal use or otherwise, of all narcotics and any illegal substances are strictly prohibited. There are so called "legal herbs" which are in fact poisonous. If offered, refuse them. If leaving Japan temporarily, never agree to look after a stranger's luggage at the airport.

(2) Drinking and Smoking Restrictions
In Japan, people aged under 20 are not allowed to drink or smoke. Smoking is not allowed in many places, including stations, public facilities and within the campus. Nagoya city has special zones where smoking on the street is banned. If found smoking there, you will be fined.
Driving a car, riding a motorcycle or bicycle after drinking any amount of alcohol is a serious offence in Japan, and can also cause accidents. Never drive after drinking. Those who accept a ride in a car that is driven by a drunk driver or those who offer alcohol to a driver are all subject to punishment under Japanese law.

(3) Others
Whilst inside a shop, removing product wrappers, price tags or putting products into pockets or bags before actually paying for them may be treated as an attempt to shoplift in Japan. Talking loudly on your mobile phone or chatting with friends in public places, such as on a train, can cause disturbance in Japan.
5. Safety Guide
Japan is not as safe as most people think. There is the risk of crime anywhere in the world, including Japan. This is what you can do avoid problems.
Avoid going out alone at night and keep away from deserted places.
Many bag-snatchings occur in Nagoya. Keep your handbag close when walking on the street.
Do not answer phone calls from unknown numbers. Do not open the door to strangers, even if they claim that they are representing certain companies. Lock and chain the door of your apartment when you are at home.
There are deserted or dark places on campus which you should avoid. There is the risk of theft inside and outside of buildings. Please always protect your property.
To avoid being a victim of crimes such as fraud, illegal business practices, or stalking, do not answer advertising gimmicks and tempting campaigns. Do not give your personal information to strangers. Trouble on the Internet has increased. Be careful about buying and selling through online auctions. Internet based fraud is continuously increasing. Be mindful of the online trade of items.

If you have any kind of trouble or become an eyewitness to a violent act or crime, call the police immediately (police hotline: 110).
If you witness any trouble on campus,
- inform the Security Guard Station (phone number: 052-789-4197, 4198)
- if you are near a school office, go in and report it immediately.

If you become a victim of a crime, please do not hesitate to consult a counselor on campus and contact the police.

6. Loss of Purses, Cash Cards and ID Cards
Report the loss to the office of your school, as the finder may contact the university.
① When you lose cash cards or credit cards, report to the issuing bank, the postal office or the credit company and cancel the card(s).
② Report the loss to the nearest "KOBAN" (police box).
③ Loss of your student ID card should be reported the loss to the office of your school. Please apply for a new card.
7. Comprehensive Insurance
The National Health Insurance Scheme does not fully cover the fees for the treatment of injuries that arise from accidents. If you cause damage to someone else's property, or cause injury to another person, you will be liable to pay damages which may exceed your budget. It is strongly recommended that you join an integrated insurance scheme to cover yourself against such costly events.

<Student Insurances provided by JESS (Japan Educational Exchanges and Services)>
Some schools may compel all of their students to join the student insurance.
For further information, please refer to the web-page of JESS( or inquire at the office of your School.

The University Co-op also has various kinds of student casualty insurance.
<Enjoying Life>
Living in Japan, away from the environment that you are most familiar with, is often more challenging and stressful than you expected. Most people will experience some stress as part of this process. Here are some tips about cultural adaptation that will help you to cope with the stress due to cultural differences, and make the most of life and study in Japan.
1. Culture shock
Although “culture shock” is generally understood as a temporary shock felt when confronted by different cultural customs, ways of thinking and behavior patterns, it actually refers to a psychological state of depression caused by a succession of failure experiences in unfamiliar social situations. Culture shock is temporary and everybody goes through it to some extent in the process of cultural adaptation. General symptoms of culture shock include negative feelings such as: losing self confidence, feeling depressed, attributing all failure to yourself, feeling that nobody understands you, feeling inadequate, etc. Accordingly, you may lose all motivation to talk with Japanese people or to attend classes. Most of these psychological reactions are, again, very natural in the process of cultural adaptation. Please take time to cope with each single event in your life, and you will be able to overcome these emotions sooner or later.
2. Differences in “academic culture”
It is widely accepted that different values, behavioral and communication patterns exist from culture to culture. However, we often fail to realize that there are also differences in “academic culture”, such as expected roles of academic advisers and students, classroom communication, evaluation criteria, etc. Such differences can also be a major cause of your stress. For example, the relationship between academic adviser and advisee is considered particularly important at the graduate level education in Japan. Some knowledge of the Japanese academic culture will help you achieve your goal more smoothly.
3. Cope with Stress
If you feel pressured by stress or lose confidence in your ability to study, you should think about releasing yourself from these negative emotions. Achieving good results in your studies may take a certain amount of time, and ought to be views as accumulative process. Sometimes, you will need to take a break. If you feel tired, do not push yourself too hard and try to enjoy some of your favorite foods, recreation, and phsical exercise. It is also recommended that you talk with your friends, academic adviser, or international students advisors/counselors. Moreover, please do not consider the process of cultural adaptation solely as a cause of stress; you can learn tremendously about various cultures, including your own, from this process.
< Visit the office of IEEC Advising & Counseling Services) >
If you feel that you cannot deal with stress or feel a sense of isolation or frustration, do not hesitate to ask for help from international counselors at the IEEC Advising & Counseling Services.  There are international student counselors who will support your personal and psychological concerns. A discussion with an international student counselor can help achieve a useful perspective on culture shock and insights into Japanese culture.

IEEC Advising & Counseling Services (7th floor, West Wing of IB Bldg.)
4. Harassment
Nagoya University has set up a Harrasment Consultation Center to prevent and eliminate the occurrence of any kinds of harassment, such as sexual harassment and academic harassment. Professional counselors deal with inquiries with utmost respect for their clients’ feelings and wishes. Where the necessity arises, claims will be referred to the Committee for the Prevention of Harassment for investigation and arbitration. The Harassment Consultation Center works on issues of any degree of gravity. If you observe someone suffering from any kind of harassment, you may also come and report the case. In addition to the Harassment Consultation Center, each School at Nagoya University has appointed a faculty member as contact person (cf. see below). For English language consultation, you may visit the representative at the International Education & Exchange Center (former ECIS). All consultation will be kept strictly confidential.
Nagoya University Harassment Consultation Center (Appointments by fax or E-mail)
Tel: 052-789-5806 (9:30-16:00)
Fax: 052-789-5968
Contact persons at each School (including IEEC (former ECIS))

[Top of Page]

Education Center for International Students, Nagoya University
Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku Nagoya 464-8601, JAPAN
Phone: +81-52-789-2198  Fax: +81-52-789-5100
Nagoya University TopAcademic Consortium 21 (AC21)International Student Advisory Office
NU International Student Support AssociationNagoya University Foreign Students
Copyright (C) 2005 Education Center for International Students, Nagoya University